Little Known Ways To Overcome Distractions and Distress With Yoga At Home
Living in today’s world, there are a lot of expectations one is supposed to meet. It can be a fast, stressful world that never stops moving and you hardly see any downtime in your days anymore. If this sounds all too familiar, this is where you absolutely need to make that time – even if it’s just a short 30 minutes. This can be done without leaving the house, without the added stress of time constraints, traffic, busy schedules, or a monthly fitness membership. Dedicating a couple moments to yourself each day is simple, worthwhile, and rewarding with home yoga.
We start to live based off a schedule instead of just being present or in the moment. Your body is supposed to look like so-and-so, the work on your desk is getting piled up with a never-ending sight of going down while making sure you get to all of your kid’s activities, and your personal to-do list goes on and on. Doing yoga at home can help you escape the nonsense and refocus both mentally and physically.
3 Reasons Yoga Home Workouts Greatly Improve Your Life
It’s none of our business what your troubles are in life. We all have our own journey and different perspectives. Just because things look good on the outside, doesn’t mean they always are on the inside. But it does not have to be that way and there are effective ways to deal that can greatly improve your life both personally and professionally. Here are 3 reasons practicing yoga at home can work wonders for your mind, body, and spirit:
1. Home Yoga Is The Perfect Place To Practice Self-Love
Get rid of negativity once and for all. Taking care of yourself is one of the healthiest things that you can do for yourself. Many people are often neglecting their own happiness and body because they’re too busy worrying about everyone else in their life. If you take care of your body, mind, and spirit, you will see a world of a change and your mind will be so much clearer day to day. This is where yoga comes in.
For those of you who have never tried yoga, it will open you up to a whole new world. It may sound hokey, but you will recognize so much inside you that you didn’t ever know was. You become peaceful with your life and your heart and really become grateful for everything that surrounds you. Yoga is a wonderful practice, especially for those that may be at a confusing point in their lives or just need some clarity away from their normal days.
2. Practicing How To Do Yoga At Home Means You Overcome Challenges and Obstacles
Imagine NOT ALWAYS having your shit together and loving every minute of it. There are a ton of benefits when you take up yoga. Not just your mental state will be millions better, but also your state of health. You will become more flexible and if you stick with it, reduce belly fat, and get nice long lean muscles. But yoga is good for so much more besides weight loss and daily exercise. Learning how to do yoga at home can provide a complete mental and physical transformation.
Cures Physical and Emotional Pain – Yoga is also known to take away the pain. Many people that are battling cancer look at doing yoga. It helps with arthritis and back pain as well. Not only physical pain too, if you are dealing with some emotional pain, even a basic yoga sequence can help ease that.
Beginners welcome – You can easily look up beginner poses and it will give you a step by step tutorial of how to do a pose. Once you get good at doing the beginner exercises, you can move onto more intermediate ones. It can be scary to begin anything new, but once it becomes routine your mind and body will be so grateful.
Did We Mention Yoga Workouts and Motivation Are Readily Available?
Video Programs and DVDs are inexpensive – What has become popular is yoga videos. A popular workout dvd that promises a short 10-15 minute routine can cost you over a hundred dollars and usually requires a strict diet plan that can cause more stress on your mind and body. Having the option of doing these yoga videos from home, you can follow along with the instructor just like you would in class, without having to worry about people watching or judging you. They will talk you through a yoga session and is actually really cool. You’re getting a yoga class in for free in the well-being of your home.
Yoga Instructors and Teaching Online – Yoga is the cure for all. If you have never done yoga and are fretting about how you’ll even practice in the luxury of your home without an instructor, do not worry anymore. We are so lucky to live in a world full of technology. You'll never have to go out of your way to find the practice or pose you are looking for.
The Lazy Yogi's Guide For At Home Yoga Apps and Websites (for free!) to try:
- Do Yoga With Me: This website gives you hundreds of online videos and tips for any level. It’s also a huge bonus that it is 100% free.
- Be More Yogic: This website is great for beginning yoga. It’s also fun because they are filmed outdoors which gives you more of a feel of being Zen and listening to your surroundings. Most videos are free; you can buy a membership which will lead to more classes to pick from.
- View our full list of the best at home yoga video websites here.
Last but not least…our personal favorite:
- Grokker: SELF, InStyle, and Fitness magazine are just some of the publications that are in love with this company. This website is great for beginning yoga or for those who want to lose weight from home. They offer a 14 day free trial for Unlimited Yoga Videos, then you have to pay a monthly membership. This site is great because they offer so much more than just yoga. There's guided meditation videos and cooking cuisine guides as well. It feels as if you have a personal trainer in your living room!
3. Learning How To Start Yoga At Home Shows You Are Eager To Grow Both Mentally And Physically
Stop waiting for the “right” time to better yourself. A simple way to get some “me” time in your day is creating a home yoga studio. Creating your own studio can be a ton of fun and you get to make it all that you want. Having your own home yoga studio is very simple.
The main benefit of practicing yoga at home is that you do not have to leave your house! You don’t need to worry about leaving for the gym and packing a little bag and setting off for an hour or two. Practicing yoga poses will be from the comfort of your home. You can still have your family and work life because you're still at home…it's not an added step or negative disruption to any productive habits. Some days will be better than others, but it's all part of your journey and home yoga is the outlet that will improve various aspects of your life.
Home Yoga Provides:
- Acceptance – No more competing with the person next to you or worrying about what you look like when you’re on the treadmill and especially paying for that $50 a month for a gym membership. You get to really be with yourself and experience total zen. The only person you should be competing against is you. Learn to accept your whole self – the good, bad, and ugly, without having to worry about others distracting you from this goal.
- Convenience – This yoga studio doesn’t necessarily have to be in its own room either. You could roll out your yoga mat in the living room and practice there. If you have a spare room, it might be nice to make it into a yoga studio though if you are really thinking about practicing yoga. You can decorate it with calm paintings and put a few plants in there, or other decor that is symbolic to you. You want this place to be a place full of positive energy. Design it in a way that the minute you step in that room your stress and distraction should reduce.
- Discipline – Doing Yoga in the quiet of your home can be difficult, you might put it off for weeks or makeup excuses for other things you need to get done, chores etc. Motivational speeches, writing in a healing journal, keeping track of a chart, or positive affirmations come in handy during this time. It might sound cheesy, advising you to listen to these, but they really do help and get that extra oomph that you need. It's a skill and time you will want to make for yourself and over time you will reap the benefits.
Figuring Out How To Start Yoga At Home Means You Are Figuring Out You…And That’s Okay.
You, an incredibly amazing hot mess. When you are practicing yoga in your own home, you are really, truly, and genuinely, connecting with yourself. I cannot stress this enough. It feels so good to be who you really are…holistically and authentically. Yoga makes someone think about what really matters in life.
When you start doing things for yourself, you will become a new person and it will show. You’ll have a different glow to you and will radiate happiness and more people will want to be around you. Practicing in your own home yoga studio, you can do it for as long as you want! Or just a short 15 minutes between kids’ naps.
This daily time of self-care can do greater good to your day than you believe. It clears your mind and it feels good to be doing something that is going to be improving your body and mind at the same time. Your children, husband, job, mom, boss, or will reap the benefits. But more importantly, YOU will be living your best life…or at least on the road there.
How To Build A Practice You Can Be Proud Of – Try Bikram, Cat, Laughter, Power, Or Aerial Yoga At Home
The great thing about starting yoga at home is that you are free to try whatever you feel like without spending money at a studio. Yoga is more than just stretching and breathing for a daily wellness. It’s about finding yourself and finding personal growth…whatever that means to you.
Like hot yoga? Kundalini? Ashtanga? Raja? There are so many types of yoga out there to try…(if you are pregnant I would recommend checking out prenatal yoga). Heat things up and invite your bf or girlfriend over to perform some tantric yoga. The point is… there are plenty of lessons and ideas out there for all types of rooms and homes with little no equipment needed.
Noteworthy Home-Away-From-Home Yoga Studios
Sometimes, you just want to be with a group of individuals or have a yoga instructor to follow alongside with or hold you accountable. Or maybe you just don’t feel like designing a home yoga studio of your own or don’t have the space or time. If you like the idea of a homey feel, the typical yoga studio isn’t always going to fulfill that need. Try searching for home yoga studios within your area. The following studios are great examples if you are looking for your yoga home-away-from-home:
On The East Coast: Yoga Home Conshohocken PA:
Yoga Home, located in Conshohocken Pennsylvania (a trendy, fun, and eclectic city-suburb right outside of Philadelphia) is all about creating a community that is centered around empowerment, happiness, and health. Their core values include connection, acceptance, community, love, and growth. They do more than just teach yoga. The studio integrates mind-body approaches along with overall wellness practices centered toward each individual. This business has created a space that is somehow collaborative yet safe and inclusive. This is intentional so that everyone is free to just be who they are. No judgments here…just a place to explore, learn, and embrace your differences and individuality…which is probably one of the many reasons they made Philadelphia magazine’s the “Best of Philly” list in 2016.
Related Article: Getting Started With Your Home Yoga Studio
On The West Coast: Ohana Home Yoga Seattle
Ohana Home Yoga, located in the rainy, historic, and quintessential city of Seattle, holds a high commitment towards individual and community awareness. The studio is Sri Krishnamacharya inspired (the ayurvedic healer, teacher, and scholar who is considered the father of yoga). They provide a studio that can be described as serene and peaceful, which is what they aim to inspire in their yoga community. This community holds the values of corporate citizenship high and are deeply involved with yoga fundraising, where they support causes and donations in order to create positive change (for both the individuals and their neighbor).
Other Notable Home Yoga Studios:
- N16 Yoga (London, England)
- It’s Yoga (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Andover Home Yoga (Andover, Maryland)
- hOMe Yoga Experience (Mahwah, New Jersey)